Sunday 26 July 2009

Finishing Strat Style Body

I very lightly sanded the basswood body until it was nice and smooth and also to remove any imperfections, grease or glue. I decided I was not going to paint it but opted to use wood dye which is not often used on basswood bodies but I felt if it did not work I could always sand and paint it. But by this time I had a picture in my head of how I wanted it. I bought tin of Spanish Mahogany wood dye and applied it with a lint free cloth in the direction of the grain and built up
around three coats.










When the body was dry and I was happy with the dye I decided to use polyurethane gloss varnish which would not only protect it but bring out the colour and give it a nice glossy shine. Even though polyurethane drys to the touch within hour or two it takes few days to cure and harden to a point you can begin to start screwing parts to your new body.

No comments:

Post a Comment