Sunday 26 July 2009

Pickups And Elecrics

Because I set out to build a 60s style guitar I decided that the pickups I bought online should be vintage style with staggered pole pieces and cream covers. I found a set of stat single coil pickups that was vintage wound and ceramic bar magnet. I also felt it was important that I used 250k pots for the tone and volume. I opted for Alpha pots to keep the cost down as I have used them before and never had a problem with them. You could use the more expensive CTS pots. Vintage Fender Stratocasters used .1uf capacitors for the tone in the 50s and 60s but for this project I used .022uf cap which are used in many modern stratocasters, And I feel have a great tone. I also made my own treble bleed using a .001cap and 100k resistor which is used on the two legs of the volume pot to help keep the guitar sounding bright and from loosing tone at low volume. It is also important to ground the trem claw.

No comments:

Post a Comment